The use of video on the Internet has become a prevalent component of web content. No kidding! But, there is so much video available for consumption in the SERP’s, careful attention towards specific video SEO strategies must be adhered too. The following are basic recommendations to help your video content rise to the top in the SERP’s and reach consumers.
1. Sitemaps are your best friend. Google and others accept video sitemaps for your web site and is the recommended way to provide the information necessary to make the search engines aware of your web sites video content. Google accepts sitemaps using the Media RSS (mRSS) specification or you can find Google’s how-to create a video sitemap in the Google Webmaster Central Blog, “Creating Video Sitemaps”.
2. RSS feeds are easier for the bots to read than web pages. Great! Create a Media RSS (mRSS) feed of your video content. Keep it updated and focused on the pages of your web site that contain video content. Yahoo! has a page the defines the mRSS within the RSS 2.0 specification. Build your own video mRSS feed, “Media RSS Module – RSS 2.0 Module”.
3. Do not skimp on the metadata section of your web page. The title must be short and targeted towards the video’s keywords. The description must be targeted towards the video content and your selected keywords. The keywords should be light and focus only on the important themes presented in the video. Hint: Try to use the word video in the title, description, and keywords.
4. If there are multiple videos on a page, make sure the videos theme are consistent between them. This allows you to create a video page that can be properly optimize for the search engines and the consumers. Search engines like to ensure the context of the page has a thematic congruency with all elements being displayed.
5. Use friendly URL’s for your video pages. If your title has been properly constructed with the keywords, use it in your URL. If not, then make sure you use only the most important keywords in the URL. This helps the search engines to associate relevant topics of the video with the web address.
6. Video files themselves should have the appropriate title with your targeted keywords from the video content. Additionally, make good use of the description or summary when creating your video file.
7. Create content relevant and compelling content around your video. This simply provides the search engines with content relevant to the theme of the videos and makes it easier for your consumers to quickly identify the context of the video.
8. Distribute your videos to as many video sites as possible. Make sure you keep the video title and description consistent with the source video page on your web site.
9. Create thumbnails of your video that clearly expose your brand. Marketing 101, keep the brand consistent. It will help the consumer to quickly associate the video with your brand on both your web site and on any video distribution sites.
These recommendations are the basics and set the foundation for your videos to be easily found and indexed by the search engines. Can you provide any recommendations which would increase video optimization?